About OpenCayuga, the Open Wireless Network
- A wireless network that enables anyone to connect to the Internet using a notebook computer, or mobile device with a supported wireless network adapter.
- A free service intended for the students, faculty, staff, and guests of Cayuga Community College.
- Funded by the Technology Fee paid for by Cayuga students.
- Separated from Cayuga's internal network; the only College resources accessible from OpenCayuga are public resources such as Cayuga's web site or myCayuga.
- 12 mbps download limit is dedicated to OpenCayuga Wireless Network
OpenCayuga is an open, unsecured wireless network. This means that any unsecured data sent between your computer and the network is not automatically encrypted, and it is possible that someone could view it. Secure data, such as on web sites that begin with https, is encrypted before being sent by your computer, and is reasonably safe from eavesdropping.
Wireless Internet Access Areas for Cayuga Campus
Areas with a dark red roof have wireless access:
How to connect to OpenCayuga Wireless Network
Connection to OpenCayuga will require a laptop or personal wifi enabled equipment. In addition, the end user will have to follow a two-step process in order to connect and then log into OpenCayuga. Those instructions can be viewed by clicking the link below:
- Cayuga OpenWireless Instruction Sheet (PDF format)
System Requirements for accessing OpenCayuga:
- Operating System: Windows 8.1, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3, Mac OS X at least 10.6, or mobile OS
- Processor: Intel or AMD 1 ghz or greater
- Memory: 512 mb or greater
- Hard drive: 1 gb free space required
- Wireless card: a/b/g/n/ac compatible wireless card required