Skip to Main Content View Site Map
Top of Page
Federal, State and Other Types of Financial Aid

Several types of federal financial aid may be granted. Your FAFSA application using the Cayuga code will serve as the first step in your application.


Federal Financial Aid

You may be eligible for federal aid from the United States Department of Education if you:

  • Are enrolled in a degree or certificate program
  • Are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Have a high school diploma or GED
  • Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress
  • Are not in default on a Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan, PLUS or SLS Loan at any institution
  • Do not owe a refund of any federal financial aid at any institution
  • Are registered with Selective Service, if required
  • Have never been convicted of a drug-related offense


Federal Pell Grant

Through this program, eligible undergraduate students may receive grants based on college costs and the expected family contribution (determined by factors such as family income and assets, size of family and number of post-secondary students in the family). No repayment is required.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

As an undergraduate student, you may receive federal grants. These grants are awarded based on exceptional need and circumstances. No repayment is required.

Federal Work-Study

This program, supported through federal and college funds, may be available to you if you are enrolled and can demonstrate financial need. Awards vary according to need and available funds. You may be employed either on- or off-campus with public or nonprofit agencies. Earnings must be used solely for educational purposes. Biweekly payment is made directly to you based on wage and hours worked. Work-study awards cannot be used for tuition, fee or book deferrals.


Ford Federal Direct Loan

This loan is available if you need financial assistance and are attending Cayuga at least half-time (six credits or more per semester).

  • First-year students may be eligible to borrow up to $3,500 per academic year.
  • Students who have completed at least 28 credit hours may be eligible to borrow up to $4,500 per academic year.
  • Dependent students may be eligible to borrow an additional $2,000.
  • Independent students may be eligible to borrow an additional $4,000.

To apply, you will need to submit your Student Aid Report. An origination fee and insurance premium will be deducted from your loan amount. Loans are disbursed in two separate checks over the loan period. You must begin repayment six months after termination of study or if you drop below six credits. You will need to complete a promissory note online, and first-time borrowers must complete online entrance counseling.

Federal PLUS Loan

If you are a dependent student and your parents have no adverse credit history, they may be eligible for this program. Annual loan limits are based on cost of college attendance less any other financial aid. An origination fee is deducted from the co-payable loan check. Repayment begins within 60 days at a variable interest rate not to exceed 10 percent. For more information see our Federal Direct Loan for Parents page for details.

Back to Top


New York State Financial Aid

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

This program is available if you are a New York State resident attending college full-time (12 credits or more per semester) in New York State. Part-time students who meet certain requirements may also be eligible. Awards are based on family income. Maximum awards are subject to reduction, depending on the New York State budget. Your award notification will be e-mailed to you, and you will be paid through the College Business Office once your attendance is certified. TAP awards may be used only for tuition costs. No repayment is required. You must be in Good Academic Standing to maintain TAP eligibility.

If you have received TAP at another college, an official college transcript is required to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office prior to payment of a TAP award.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

This state program is specifically for New York State residents enrolled in an approved program for 3 to 11 credits per semester. To qualify, you must have completed 6 credits at Cayuga, be in Good Academic Standing, and meet income standards for eligibility. Awards are based on tuition costs, financial need and availability of funds, and may not exceed tuition. APTS awards may be used only for tuition costs only. No repayment is required.

Back to Top


Other Types of Aid

Veterans Administration benefits

Cayuga Community College is approved for full Veterans Administration educational benefits.

Additional aid programs

Information on other aid programs is available in the Financial Aid Office. Among these are U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid to Native Americans, Regents Award for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans, Regents Award for Children of Deceased Police Officers and Firemen, and State Aid to Native Americans.


Back to Top