The 37th Annual Professional Advancement and Pinning Ceremony honored 52 graduates of the A.A.S. nursing program at Cayuga Community College at the Irene A. Bisgrove Community Theatre on May 18. The Nursing Class of 2012 descended the aisles holding a lit candle representing the bedside lamp that Florence Nightingale carried in the Crimean War.
Among the sea of red candles placed on the stage before the graduates took their seats was a single white candle in remembrance of 2003 graduate Katie M. Socci who passed away last June. Professor Linda L. Alfieri, director of the nursing program, and Timothy Lattimore, deputy chair of the Cayuga County Legislature, requested a moment of silence to remember Socci and her passion for nursing. “I wish to dedicate my words this evening to Katie Socci,” Alfieri said. Socci’s cousin was a part of the 2012 nursing graduating class, following in Katie’s footsteps; her daughter was present in the audience as well.
Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Development Anne Herron served as the host during the evening, which featured a welcome from College President Daniel P. Larson. Both spoke of the difficulty of the nursing program and the sacrifices made by the students. “These are our best and brightest students on this stage tonight,” Larson said.
Tears were shed as graduates Rose M. Favata and Lisa L. Kimak gave the Nursing Class of 2012 address. They each spoke of the challenges involved in their journey as well as the pleasures of learning together.
College Board of Trustees Chairman John M. Camardo congratulated the graduates and encouraged them to never forget their experiences at the college. “The only way to turn dreams into reality is hard work,” he said.
After the graduates were pinned they read the international pledge in unison. “I will do my utmost to honor the international code of ethics applied to nursing and to uphold the integrity of the nurse,” they said.
During the ceremony, several nursing graduates received special recognition:
- Amanda K. Waby of Auburn, $500 Madeleine Alfieri Memorial Nursing Award
- Edward J. Zmuda of Seneca Falls, $500 Auburn Memorial Hospital Auxiliary Award
- Lisa L. Kimak of Elbridge, $200 Vicki Cook Condie Nursing Excellence Award
- Alicia L. Slywka of Auburn, $290 Barbara Dove Memorial Award
- Margaret M. Murray and Amanda C. Woodmansee, both of Auburn, $250 Virginia (Dent) Greenfield Memorial Award
- Joseph M. Dmytrenko of Union Springs and Vicki L. Pasco of Oswego,$224 Ethyl W. Mapes Nursing Award
- Lori L. Daratt of Cato and Shelley L. Smith of Baldwinsville, $200 William J. Painter Memorial Award
- Donna J. Chittenden of Baldwinsville, $285 Dorothy M. Rooker Award
- Johanna K. Dalton of Auburn, $750 Dr. George Sincerbeaux Pediatric Scholarship
- Melissa L. Miller of Geneva, $100 Wilfred "Sonny" Taylor Memorial Award
- Lisa L. Kimak of Elbridge, $190 Shirley Vargason Memorial Award
- Johanna K. Dalton, $504 Herbert P. Ward Memorial Award
- Leslie A. Martino of Elbridge and Laura E. Ritchie of Hannibal, $680 Joan Post Worden Memorial Scholarship