The Cayuga Community College Student Activities Board recently held its annual appreciation banquet at the Highland Park Golf Club in Auburn to recognize the contribution of students who participated in the wide range of clubs and organizations at the College.
The more than 100 students, faculty, and staff members celebrated the clubs’ achievements and individual students’ contributions during the semi-formal dinner event.
“Involvement in clubs provides students the opportunity to apply the classroom knowledge into practice with the planning and organizing of events and activities that they annually coordinate and create,” said Norm Lee, director of student activities who served as emcee of the event. “They work as a team to accomplish many tasks throughout the year, gaining valuable insights into group dynamics and picking up leadership skills along the way. Student extracurricular experience is the second most important component part of the overall college experience.”
Among the special recognitions given at the banquet were:
- J. Richard Mahlstedt Award: Given in memory of a former English professor and selected by students, this award recognizes any employee who is highly regarded by students.
- Winners: Business Instructor Amy Valente, Auburn Campus; and Dennis Collins, library instructional assistant, Fulton Campus
- Nicole C. Judware Achievement Award: Given in memory of a well-loved student who died in an automobile accident in 1997, this award is presented to a student who has contributed greatly and made a difference in the lives of students at the College
- Winners: James Molina of Long Island City, N.Y.; and Max Appleby of Weedsport
- Leadership Award for Excellence in Co-Curricular Activities
- Winners: Brian Knapp of Cayuga and Kristan Marino of Minetto
- 2013 Outstanding Clubs
- Winners: Criminal Justice Club, Auburn Campus; Veteran’s Club, Fulton Campus
- Senate Faculty Excellence Award
- Winners: Professor Emeritus Don Fama, Auburn Campus; Psychology Instructor Nathaniel Thomas, Fulton Campus
- Merit Achievement Award
- Winners: Stephan A. Padilla of East Elmhurst, N.Y., and Dawn Varney of Altmar
- Club Recognition Awards
- Winners: Early Childhood Club, Auburn Campus; ROTARACT, Fulton Campus