The Liberal Arts & Science degree offers you a quality education with maximum flexibility in designing a program of study. You may use the degree as a transfer program, as a way to explore and determine your educational goals, or as an educational experience that leads to a successful job search or advancement in your career.
Program Learning Outcomes
Liberal Arts and Science A.A. (Humanities and Social Science) students will:
- Demonstrate a general understanding of our human and natural environment
- Utilize methods of investigation and expression to communicate meaning to others
- Demonstrate proficiency in academic skills (research, critical thinking, problem solving) needed to master specialized fields
- Display a general ability to understand and evaluate information
- Demonstrate an awareness of diverse cultures
- Possess an awareness of various career options
- Continue your education at a 4-year institution
Cayuga Success Stories
“Maybe you already know what you want to do with the rest of your life, or maybe you don't have a clue. In either case, the Liberal Arts program is a great opportunity for you to find out what's out there, as well as a chance to learn more about the world around you.” — Jon Arliss '03
“Cayuga's faculty and staff are exceptional, and there are many services to help you adapt as an adult learner. I love learning and I had the time of my life at Cayuga.” — Lori Cochran '05 Accepted into the accelerated degree program in Criminal Justice, offered by Keuka College on the Cayuga campus
“I liked the relationships I had with professors.” — Emily Marzeski '05 Transferred to Wells College for Elementary Education; hopes to become a kindergarten or first-grade teacher
“Coming back to Cayuga at 44 has had a profound impact on my life. My professors have been inspirational and supportive of my educational endeavors. I've also found my life enriched by the young students I've met.” — Jane Thompson '02
The courses offered in this degree parallel the first 2 years of a bachelor's degree and prepare you for transfer to a 4 year college or university.
As a member of the SUNY system, you will complete 7 of the 10 required general education courses, and with proper advisement can complete all 10 so that you can focus on your speciality area upon transfer.
- Before making final decisions about your educational plan, you can explore a variety of academic and career areas through elective courses.
- You can design a program around your specific goals. For example, if you plan to transfer to a four-year college to earn a bachelor's degree in psychology, you might take courses at Cayuga in Child Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, and related subjects to fulfill liberal arts electives while building a foundation for your higher-level study.
- Transfer from Cayuga is smooth and efficient, because the Humanities and Social Science program is equivalent to the first two years of study for a four-year degree.
- The Humanities and Social Science program builds capabilities in analysis, critical thinking, verbal and written communication, teamwork, interpersonal relations, and computer use--valuable skills in virtually any career.
- Humanities and Social Science Brochure
- Liberal Arts and Science: Humanities and Social Science A.A. Degree Sheet
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: Adolescence Education A.A. Degree Sheet
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: Childhood Education A.A. Degree Sheet
For information, please contact:
315-255-1743, x 2282